Guduchi / Giloy / Heart-leaved Moonseed / Tinospora Cordifolia is an herbaceous vine. It is a large, deciduous, extensively-spreading, climbing shrub with several elongated twining branches. Tinospora contains diverse phytochemicals, including alkaloids, phytosterols, glycosides, and mixed other chemical compounds. Columbin, tinosporaside, jatrorhizine, palmatine, berberine, tembeterine, tinocordifolioside, phenylpropene disaccharides, choline, tinosporic acid, tinosporal, and tinosporon have been isolated from T. cordifolia. The stem and root’s extract are used in traditional medicine to treat various disorders. It is often called Amrita, which in Sanskrit means ‘divine nectar’.
A plant with as diverse a role as Tinospora cordifolia is a versatile resource for all forms of life. There are reports as already discussed that the plant extracts have active compounds in the form of alkaloids, glycosides, lactones and steroids. All these active compounds have immunomodulatory and physiological roles of different types, thereby demonstrating the diverse versatility of the plant.
- Is an aphrodisiac
- It has an immunomodulating effect,
- It is an excellent antioxidant,
- Effective with general weakness,
- It has a rejuvenating effect on the body, as it actively normalizes the liver,
- Improves blood quality and cleanses the body of toxins,
- Controls blood glucose in diabetes,
- Effectively helps in the treatment of hepatitis and jaundice,
- Promotes hematopoiesis in case of anemia,
- Used in the treatment of tuberculosis, etc.
- Slows down organ wear and premature aging,
- Helps to get rid or significantly improve the condition in chronic diseases, as it has the ability to repair damaged organ tissues,
- Alleviates the condition in cases of:
- – chronic and acute viral fever
- – urinary tract infections
- – spermatogenesis disorders
- – bleeding
- – arthritis and arthrosis
- It helps with skin problems such as acne, psoriasis, leprosy, eczema, lichen planus, erysipelas, itchy rashes and others, as it is a natural blood purifier,
- Anticancer effect – It can be used as an aid in chemotherapy for cancerous tumors.
- T. cordifolia (guduchi) has such a powerful effect that it helps to clear even the brain of toxins, which helps to improve mental activity. All this makes it an excellent preventive and therapeutic tool against stress, anxiety and depression.
*Medications that decrease the immune system (Immunosuppressants) interacts with T. cordifolia: might increase the immune system. Taking it along with some medications that decrease the immune system might decrease the effectiveness of these medications.
*Medications for diabetes (Antidiabetes drugs) interacts with T. cordifolia: might decrease blood sugar. Diabetes medications are also used to lower blood sugar. Taking Guduchi along with diabetes medications might cause your blood sugar to go too low. Monitor your blood sugar closely. The dose of your diabetes medication might need to be changed.
Side effects: Tinospora cordifolia seems to be safe when used short-term. The safety of long-term use, more than 8 weeks, is not known.