Bhringraj / False daisy / Karisalankanni – Eclipta alba, is a species of plant in the sunflower family. This is a creeping plant with a very developed root, grayish in color, cylindrical in shape. The solitary flower heads are 6 – 8 mm in diameter with florets of white color. The achenes are narrowly winged and compressed. The herb tastes bitter, hot, sharp and dry. The whole plant is used in Ayurvedic medicine and cosmetology.
The word “bhringraj” literally translates as “king of the bees.” In India, he is also called the “king of hair.”
Bringaraj usually grows in moist places around the world, like a weed. Distributed throughout India, China, Thailand, Brazil. The extract prepared from Bhringraj plant is rich in alkaloids and the leaves contain high amount of proteins. The plant is known for its antioxidant, anticancer, antibacterial, antiviral, antileprotic, antihaemorrhagic, analgesic, antihepatotoxic, hypotensive and ovicidal properties. The plant contains several chemicals like polypeptides, steroids calcium, vitamin D, Iron, Vitamin E, magnesium.
A wide spectrum of action allows the use of this plant for various diseases and for general recovery. Bhringaraj has a strong anti-aging effect, helps to maintain the integrity of bone tissue, balances the dosha and has a beneficial effect on memory, liver, vision, nervous system and hearing. Bhringaraj oil is considered one of the most effective Ayurvedic remedies aimed at strengthening and maintaining the beauty of hair. Apart from being good for hair, Bhringaraj has numerous health benefits like: offering relief from respiratory disorders, relieving pain and much more.
- Is a natural tonic for the liver, effective in the treatment of hepatitis, the ‘number one’ for cirrhosis of the liver.
- Helps with disorders of the gallbladder antiseptic.
- Treats various skin diseases, eczema, scabies, dermatitis, has an antifungal effect, treats foot fungus
- Helps with bites of scorpions and snakes, as it has the ability to draw poisons. Grind the leaves of Bhrinraj and apply the paste on the swollen area. The pain condenses on the bitten area. It also relieves the sting and poison too.
- Relieves swelling.
- Prevents brain hemorrhage.
- A popular cold medicine for children, for which they use Bрringraj leaf juice mixed with honey.
- Normalizes digestion.
- Used as an emetic and laxative.
- Helps with headaches and toothaches (rubbed into the gums and temples).
- Natural tonic for the whole body, returns vitality to a weakened body.
- Helps with high acidity.
- Stops bleeding.
- Anthelmintic (especially for children).
- Eliminates pain and burning during urination.
- Improves the work of the mind and the susceptibility of the organs of sensory perception – hearing, vision, strengthens the immune system.
- At the same time, it calms and supports the nervous system, reduces the excessive activity of the mind, promotes relaxation and sound sleep, relieves headaches.
- Prevents miscarriage, stops uterine bleeding, eases postpartum pain in the uterus.
- Strengthens bone tissue.
- Treats diphtheria.
- Good tonic for the eyes.
- Bhringraj is included in a huge number of cosmetics, it is one of the main Ayurvedic herbs in cosmetology.
- The black dye obtained from this plant is used for dyeing hair and for tattoos.
Side-effects: Bhringraj has no such side effects. Its extract is cool, this one may catch a cold. Higher dose may cause a slight burning sensation.